Nine 1-hour spaces will be available for individuals to receive one-on-one mentoring from Award-Winning Authors, Edie Melson, Larry Leech, Les Stobbe, Billy Wayne Arrington, and Lori Marett . Our past mentorees have been thrilled with the results of their mentored work.
If the mentor you choose is not listed below, contact Terri for instructions.
Here’s how the process works: Contact Terri with your request for a mentor or critique. She will forward the information on payment to you. Payments are made directly to the faculty member by the conferee. Critiques receive a 15-minute appointment with the critiquer to go over your work. Mentors will spend 1hour of private time during the conference with the mentoree.
CLICK HERE TO CONTACT TERRI AND REQUEST YOUR MENTORING OR CRITIQUE [email protected]
Conferees will send blog addresses and social media addresses so Edie can evaluate and dig into both the blog and the most effective social media for them.
Conferees will send a synopsis and three chapters of their fiction, nonfiction work, or memoir. Larry will work with you on presentation, tweaking your submission, and guiding you to ensure your work has all the necessities to make it a success.
Guidelines: 500-word Synopsis, First 3 chapters/5,000 word limit
Les will work with non-fiction, Christian living, and to help ready your work toward publication. He will work with you from concept development to preparation of proposals for literary agents, providing both instruction and editing services.
Guidelines: Send from 10 to 25 pages.
Billy is multi-talented. A singer, songwriter, screenplay writer, ministry leader/developer and author. He can help you with a multitude of things. He founded Vision Productions and Billy Wayne Ministries, so his guidance into developing successful ministry through the arts is proven.
Guidelines: For lyrics, send 3-5 different songs. For screenplays, a synopsis and 15 pages. For ministry development send an outline and goals for a ministry you are interested in.
Lori Marett can mentor scripts, fiction and non-fiction. She is strong in looking at story content and brainstorming.
Fiction: Synopsis and first three chapters (no proposal)
Non-fiction: Chapter blurbs, two chapters (no proposal)
Recruits, are you ready to shave off unnecessary words? Are you ready for your manuscript to get a bit of a buzz cut?
A critique service is available for Writers Advance! Boot Camp participants. When you register, you may pay for a critique in the following categories:
Critique Submission Guidelines:
1. Manuscript: Times News Roman, Double-spaced, One-Inch Margins, WORD DOCUMENT. Be sure you combine all requirements into a SINGLE document.
2. Email Submissions as an attachment to the faculty member of your choice or to Terri Kelly, bootcampcritiques @ Gmail (dot) com. Subject Line: ACWC CRITIQUE. In the body of the email, please list the genre.
Faculty Emails and Deadline Date for Submissions
Andrea Merrell: andreamerrell7 @ gmail (dot) com DEADLINE: Feb. 2
Larry Leech: larry @ larryleech (dot) com DEADLINE: Feb. 2
Denise Loock: denise @ lightningeditingservices (dot) com DEADLINE: Feb. 2
Terri Kelly: bootcampcritiques @ gmail (dot) com DEADLINE: Feb. 2
Bob Hostetler: [email protected] (dot) com DEADLINE: Feb. 2
Edwina Perkins [email protected] (dot) com DEADLINE: Feb. 2
Sarah Thomas sarah (dot) sarahloudinthomas (dot) com DEADLINE: Feb. 2
Lori Marett [email protected] (dot) com DEADLINE: Feb. 2
3. Title Page: Include a title page with your submission: title, genre, page numbers, word count, audience, and your name/email and other contact information on the title page within your document. A confirmation will be sent to you within 24 hrs. (Resend if you do you receive a confirmation.) SUBMISSIONS WITHOUT THESE DETAILS WILL NOT BE CRITIQUED.
4. Fee: see critique menu below. You may directly email faculty members your manuscripts. Please send a check made out to the faculty member’s name. Ask for the mailing address when you send your critique or email Terri ([email protected])for a mailing address. Critiques will be completed upon receipt of payment. (The fee applies for each submission.)
5. Deadline: See individual faculty members for their deadlines. You may begin sending critiques January 1.
6. Completed critiques will be returned to you at the Writers Advance! Conference. You will automatically be given an appointment with the faculty member who critiqued your writing. Our faculty will not give you a buzz cut. We’ll approach each manuscript with more love than a drill sergeant so you may ADVANCE!
Buzz Cuts (Manuscript Critiques) – Faculty can change
Articles: Newspaper or magazine $25
250 -1500 words (Anything over 1500 words will be discarded.)
Blog Post $15
250 -1500 words (Anything over 1500 words will be discarded.) A full assessment of your blog post, including a written list of suggestions and things you’re doing well.
Blog Critique $25
Devotions (Devotions for print or web/blog, Limit of 2) $10 each (limit 2 per person)
Editing: Basic line-by-line editing services are available $20 per 5 pages
General: First Fifteen Pages of Your Manuscript include a breakdown of overall writing, marketability, hook, tension, and POV. $35
Fiction: 10 pages + 2-page synopsis. MUST have 2-page synopsis for romance, general fiction, suspense, Women’s Fiction.) $25
Non-fiction books: 10 pages + 2-page synopsis. MUST have 2-page synopsis for True Life, Inspirational, Motivational, Encouragement $25
Proposals: Fiction or non-fiction proposals. Send the first 25 pages or 1 chapter and a 1-2 page synopsis. (No more than 25 total pages.) $25
Bible Studies/Bible Lesson Plans: No more than 15 pages $35
Children's Chapter Book: First 3 chapters: $25
Picture Book: Complete manuscript: $25
**Please note faculty participation could change – If there is one you’d like to schedule a critique with that is NOT listed, please contact Terri.bootcampcritiques @ Gmail (dot) com
Blog Post: Edie Melson
Blog Critique: Edie Melson
Picture books, Children's Nonfiction Articles, Chapter book: Terri Kelly
YA: Larry Leech
Devotions: Andrea Merrell, Denise Loock
Editing: Basic line-by-line editing services available: Andrea Merrell, Denise Loock, and Larry Leech
General: First Fifteen Pages of Your Manuscript: Larry Leech,
Fiction: Romance, General Fiction, Women’s, Contemporary, Suspense: Andrea Merrell, Edwina Perkins, and Larry Leech,
Non-fiction books: True Life, Inspirational, Motivational, Encouragement: Edie Melson, Edwina Perkins, and Andrea Merrell
Memoirs: First 10 pages: Larry Leech
Proposals, One-Sheets: Larry Leech, and Bob Hostetler