Friday is almost here! IGNORE MY
TYPOS....it's crazy here.
PLEASE NOTE – THE PASSCODE FOR ACWC.LIVE is not included in this newsletter on the site for security reasons.
Read this newsletter carefully. I would also ask that you check with the conference update page to catch up on last-minute details. I PROMISE - EVERY QUESTION YOU HAVE IS ANSWERED ON THE WEBSITE. You can click conference updates and also the newsletters and find everything you need. I am down to the wire. That means, I am ticking off items from my to-do list one after the other and praying I have not missed someone or something. Let's get started with the news.
News - News - News
There is new and then later on we will recap for the newcomers. ***REMEMBER, masks are required. So don't forget. You'll have to return to your room and get it. Masks must be worn throughout the venue.
APPOINTMENTS - CRITIQUES - MENTORING
Virtual Folks, if you want an appointment you must email Terri. Do it quickly as time is running out. She will do what she can to schedule you an appointment. Understand, this may happen after the conference. Linda Gilden is still willing to do last-minute mentoring. Let Terri know if you want a paid mentoring appointment with Linda and she will set that up for you.
Terri has said if you have an appointment to please verify with her via email. That email is [email protected]. We have had schedule changes with the faculty. Due to Covid, vaccine dates and some state restrictions, we have some faculty who are unable to attend in person who had planned to be at the conference:
Linda Glaze - Heartline Literary will be working with us REMOTE. She will take appointments via phone or Zoom.
Linda Gilden - Mentor and author - Working REMOTE. She will still do last minute mentoring and she is available for appointments remotely
Ramona Richards is ill. She has no voice at this time so we can't ask her to squeak for you. BUT, her boss and publisher, John Herring, Iron Stream Media, will be in attendance. John will take appointments.
Also, Diana Flegal, mentor and writing coach, will be helping out by seeing appointments for New Hope and also for Iron Stream.
Our faculty has really stepped up to help us make as much available to you as possible.
Our appointments, critiques, and mentoring will be on the first floor of the Training Center. Those rooms will be labeled for you so you can't miss them.
Our bookstore is also on the first floor of the Cove. Here are the COVID-preparation guidelines for you to follow. There will be hand sanitizer. Cleanse your hands, take a pair of gloves and wear those as you browse the bookstore. When you leave, drop your gloves in the trash. Thank you for helping us keep things as safe as we can. The bookstore will open after dinner on Friday night. And again Sat. morning through the day and evening. It will close for mealtimes. It will open again for a short time Sunday morning.
OUR BOB BOX - This is our mission box. We support Bob Hostetler and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in honor of Bob's two grandchildren who have CF. This year we are also supporting Edie Melson's son Jimmy and his baby after the loss of his wife. And also, we will support Dee Dee Parker to help her get reliable heat in her home. I hope you will find it in your heart to give back to those who need our assistance. God tells us to care for others. This is one conference that tries our best to do that. The Bob Box is in the Bookstore and you can drop by anytime or you can donate via Pay Pal here: https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=A6F2DC7K4EQTA
ALL ABOUT VIRTUAL - Our links were sent out last week. I also just sent a letter to you just minutes ago (2-24). You can look to the BROWN box on the right and click it for the videos which are uploaded and ready to view. These are our second track and also where our live stream recordings will be stored. PLEASE NOTE - WE ARE EASTERN STANDARD TIME so you will need to pay attention to your time zone. This is why ALL THE STREAMING WILL STORE ON THE ACWC.LIVE site. Just click that brown box on the right and as the videos are rendered, they will be uploaded and posted. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO WATCH THE VIDEOS THROUGH MAY 31. Check the schedule on the site for the times of each teacher. We will begin live streaming at 1 p.m. The early bird classes are streamed live, and they will be recorded. ALL HANDOUTS ARE AVAILABLE ON THE LIVE STREAM SITE. You will just click the video on the RECORDED LIVE PRESENTATIONS. Each uploaded video that has a handout, has a button beneath it to download the handout. It's all right there.
CHECK YOUR COMPUTER - be sure you have marked acwc.live as a safe site. We recommend if you have tight security, you might consider lowering that just a bit, just in case your browser won't recognize the site as safe. We cannot manage your personal computer security and setting. I can assure you the site is safe. If you need help you need to find someone locally who can help you lower the security until the conference is over. We recommend you visit the site early to be sure you can access all you need to access.
During the live stream, there is a chatbox on the acwc.live site that you can contact us or ask questions through. That will be monitored throughout the conference.
We are continuing to upload those remaining classes that are not live-streamed. Rest assured, we have you on an email list that will come to you via Mailchimp. Please make sure you have marked our emails from Mailchimp as safe in your browser so that you do not lose out on information. Our virtual email is listed below. This will be monitored throughout the conference, but the easiest way to get a response is to send a note via the live stream chat. The acwc.live site links will remain open through May 31. After May 31, they go away. This is our first try on virtual and we're ironing out all the details so things run smoothly. It's not as easy as just clicking on a link for us. For you it is...but not on our end.
We have a specific email set up for the virtual conference should you need to contact Eddie or Scott with a question
OR TYPE ON THE CHAT ON LIVE STREAM
It is important to understand the directions for this virtual conference are not hard. YOU CLICK ON acwc.live and type in the password that has been sent to you via email.
The site will open and right there, big as life, is the main live stream. It will play as each teacher begins. This is not hard team. Now, if you look to your right you will see a brown box that says RECORDED CLASS PRESENTATIONS - click that and you will find all live streams that have been recorded and the added plus of our second track which is not live-streamed. YOU GET THE FULL CONFERENCE. You can click on any video and watch it through May 31. After that date, this link ends and the videos vanish into cyberland.
PLEASE NOTE: ALL CONFEREES - VIRTUAL AND IN PERSON MAY ACCESS THIS SITE AFTER THE CONFERENCE. EVERYONE. ALL OF YOU. EACH ONE. EVERY SINGLE ONE.
Our faculty will not be accepting questions during their teaching time. If you have a question, whether you are in-person or virtual, go to the ACWC.LIVE link and type it in the chatbox. These will be gathered for faculty and if they have time they will answer them if not, we will try to compile them for the handouts.
SCOUTS HONOR - We are asking that you do not share this link with anyone outside our conference. It's not fair for you to pay for this conference and then give it away. Please respect our faculty and us by keeping this link for your private use.
ONCE MORE: NOW final instructions: Our faculty will not take questions during the live stream. Here is a note from Eddie on how to post a question for ALL CONFEREES - virtual and in-person:
Because this year's ACWC will be both virtual and in-person---and will be held in a large auditorium--we have asked our faculty to only respond to questions that come through our ACWC.live streaming chat. On our ACWC.live page, you will see presentations as they happen and have the option of making comments or asking questions during the event. We will gather all questions in the chat feature and feed these to the presenter. This will allow all attendees to participate in the Q&A portions of our presentations. The faculty will answer questions on our handout page. HANDOUTS WILL BE LISTED ON THE RECORDED CLASS PRESENTATIONS UNDER EACH UPLOADED VIDEO. JUST CLICK AND DOWNLOAD.
Once more - here is the live stream site:
password provided via email earlier
NOW CONFERENCE DETAILS -
The conference update page is up and running https://ashevillechristianwritersconference.com/conferenceupdates. You can easily access this from your phone by clicking conference updates on the main page of the ashevillechristianwritersconference.com
1) If you are feeling bad or running a fever, DO NOT COME. Contact me for a virtual ticket. Your temp will be checked at the main gate and if you have a temp, you will not be allowed on campus. Your temp will be taken again at Pilgrims Inn for the Covid liability sheets.
2) We are staying in Pilgrims Inn. Once inside the Cove campus, drive straight up the mountain. Pilgrims will be the first LEFT. It's a beautiful hotel. Park your car. The Cove has managed to push entry to your rooms early, so you will be able to check into your room after 11:00. Go inside Pilgrims Inn, sign the forms, get your conference mask, schedule, pen and check in to your room. Then catch the bus up to the Training Center. There is no need to move your car once you are parked. Let it sleep through the weekend.
3) GO TO PILGRIMS INN, sign in with our staff, get your schedule and mask - oh, and your name tag. Sign the forms. THEN HEAD TO THE TRAINING CENTER for Edie Melson's amazing class. WEAR YOUR NAME TAG AT ALL TIMES. It is your security pass and your meal ticket. Without a name tag, you cannot enter the Training Center. Wear your mask. The Cove is mandated by the state to have face coverings. If you don't have yours on, their staff will gently remind you.
4) All classes are in the main auditorium. Go to the Training Center, pass the huge fireplace, and make a right. You'll see the doors for the auditorium.
5) We will have a piece of tape with your name on it attached to your name tag, stick it on the seat of your choice. THIS IS YOUR SEAT FOR THE FULL CONFERENCE. Please note, we are doing this to maintain as much safety in a covid world as possible. So make your seat choice, put your name on the seat, and park it there all weekend.
6) WEAR YOUR MASK. (Repeating for good measure). Members of the Cove will be monitoring all attendees on campus. If you do not have a mask on, they will politely remind you to put it on. If you are one of those folks who cannot wear a mask, then you are asked to bring a face shield and wear that. Face shields are only permitted if you have made prior arrangements with us so we are able to mark your nametag. We appreciate your working with us to make this as safe as possible.
7) Off-Campus folks - You will need to report to Pilgrims Inn and get your name tag and sign forms, you can either leave your car parked there and take the bus up to the training center or you can drive up to the next left and park at the Training Center. You will be given a car pass at the main gate which will secure your entrance and exit at the Cove without issue.
8) Our Worship Will Be Different This Year - We have chosen to pull from an idea at another conference. There will be some uplifting songs playing for you when you enter the auditorium. Please enter quietly. Don't talk. Find your seat and spend some reflective time in prayer. We will have a short devotion before things begin. I know it's hard to be quiet, but honestly, this offers you an opportunity to set your heart right and give what is due to the Lord. You're going to hear some lovely touching songs from Rich Mullins and also Andrew Petersen. Though Rich has been gone for 25 years, his songs still reach the world by the millions. His depth of love for God soars in every word. Andrew, follows in Rich's footsteps giving us thought-provoking and worshipful songs to praise God with. Take this few minutes to immerse yourself in the Lord.
PERSONAL SPIRITUAL TIME - I want to encourage you, to consider a spiritual retreat for yourself - a little self-care/spiritual care. Each spring and fall, The Walking Stick Retreats happen across the eastern seaboard. Begun by Rich Mullins, his brother Dave, and personal friends, continue the Walking Stick Retreats. This year, the spring retreat is at Ridgecrest Retreat Center (Black Mountain, NC) and in the fall it will be in Ripley, West Virginia. These are wonderful three-day retreats where you are asked to face yourself and meet God. Every Christian writer needs that marked-out time with God to seek and find your calling and purpose. This retreat is the way to do it. The Walking Stick Retreat is a community of friends who focus solely on God during the weekend set aside. If you have an opportunity, give The Walking Stick Retreats a try. Whether you attend Walking Stick or you simply carve out a quiet weekend alone to meet God, make the effort.
9) LOCATION, LOCATION - The main auditorium is on the 2nd level of the Training Center. Our appointments, mentoring, and bookstore will be one level down on the first floor. It's important to understand that our faculty understands you will have appointments. When you have an appointment, quietly step out of the room, go to your appointment, and then return. Remember, we are doing live streaming, so rather than traipsing down front in the auditorium, move across to the right of the auditorium and down the stairs rather than directly in front of the speaker.
10) We have added you to our prayer warrior list. Without prayer, this ministry would not move ahead. After the conference, we will add you to our prayer warrior list. We don't bombard you with emails, but we occasionally send out letters with praises, needs, and requests. It is our hope that you will pray for this work and ask God's protection and guidance.
MP3s - Yes, we will sell the conference MP3s for $35. These can be download and you'll have them forever. So we encourage you to get these so you can listen on your phone or in your car. Those can be purchased in the conference bookstore.
ABOUT OUR BOOKSTORE - Yes, we will have a bookstore. Not to be confused with the Cove's bookstore (which you should visit). Please visit our bookstore. We have faculty books for your purchase. You can pre-register for 2022 for $25, and you can purchase MP3s. If you are a virtual attendee and you want MP3s, contact me at [email protected] and I will send you a link for payment. THESE YOU WILL HAVE FOREVER. Please pass through the bookstore and verify your email address so we can be sure you receive links to the conference videos as well. If we do not have a good email, we cannot get you the links.
CONTINUE TO CHECK THE CONFERENCE UPDATE PAGE FOR ANY ADDITIONS. Things change and we have to be flexible. Rather than emailing me (who will be somewhat batty by the time you arrive), READ THE CONFERENCE UPDATE PAGE.
DONATE TO THE BOB BOX (you don't have to just be an on-line conferee. Anyone to donate to the Bob Box using this link.
You can donate by clicking here:
Remember, Christian Devotions will match the funds collected. We have prayed for provision so you add to the box and we'll see how God provides.
FINALLY, I will be traveling tomorrow. IN FACT, our entire team is traveling tomorrow so reaching us will be difficult. Please use [email protected] to send questions about the live stream. AND contact me at [email protected] if you need me. It will be tomorrow night before I am able to access email.
Oh Lord, hear our prayers. We pray for this conference to be fully focused on You and what You would have us learn. Take hold of this conference fully. Guide us. Protect us as we travel, while we fellowship, and as we trust that YOU have the virtual broadcast. Lord, we are only human. We can only do so much. The remainder is in Your care. It's hard to let go and trust. I'll be the first to admit, I fail miserably in this area. But I know, Oh God, that You are mighty. I know you have us clasped tight in your palm. So Lord, in Your name, we ask for any obstacles to be moved. We have the faith and you have told us if our faith is even as small as a mustard seed, it can move mountains. SO LORD - move the mountains that might stand in our way to do Your work. Let there be laughter and joy at this conference and also with our virtual folks as well. Let happiness stream across the lines and Father, shower us with Your presence. Your presence is greater than anything we can do or feel. Shower us Lord with your presence. Show up in huge ways. Give those who are less confident, supreme confidence. Open our eyes and ears to the teaching and the examples that our faculty places out there for God, we know they are godly people who love You and serve You faithfully. May connections be made, friendships opened, and bonded. Lord, work in us. You have called us together in Your name and we hear Your call. Move in us Lord.
May all we do be to Your glory, and Your glory alone.
In the name of Christ Jesus, we offer our prayers.